Cassava, or cassava root, is a popular dish for Vietnamese people. Although it is not a major food source, many people always love this type of tuber. In terms of nutrition, cassava contains starch, protein, fat, minerals, vitamin A, vitamin C, and energy. It is really good for the body without causing obesity.
Moreover, cassava roots can also be processed into some pretty exciting dishes welcomed by many women, including “Banh Khoai Mi” (Grilled Cassava Cake). With the easy cassava cake recipe and some simple ingredients, you will understand the following way to make a grilled cassava cake with the fragrant coconut milk. That said, you will have an attractive snack to treat your whole family with great savings, no loss of time for buying outside.
Raw materials for vietnamese grilled cassava cake recipe:
- 1 kg cassava
- 150 g green beans without pods
- 170 g butter
- 2 chicken eggs
- 1 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla, ½ tsp of salt
- 5 cups of coconut milk
- ½ cup of condensed milk
- 1 cup of grated coconut
Keep reading; I will tell you the secret on how to choose delicious cassava and process it properly
Cassava roots are known to be a favorite food that is easy to find and cheap to buy. Buying cassava is simple, but not everyone knows how to choose the right roots which contain many nutrients. To see good cassava, you should keep in mind the following characteristics:
- First, you need to select the type of cassava grown in the hill. Because this type will be very fragile and fragrant when eaten or processed
- Be careful to choose fresh, chubby, straight tubers, which will have less fiber, soft and sweet. If possible, use a fingernail to test the thin outer pod to check the color of the inner one. In the case that it is light pink, take it. So, you should leave out the white one because the pink shell will have less toxic than the white pod.
- Cassava is delicious, nutritious and very good food for health. However, if your preliminary processing is not done correctly or sketchily, it will be easily poisoned. You should not keep the fresh cassava for too long. Otherwise, it will not be delicious when eating.
- Before processing cassava, you should peel off both pods, and cut off the head and tail because these parts are the place containing the most toxins. After that, soak cassava with salt water for about 30 minutes – 1 hour or overnight. Next, rinse with cold water several times before cooking.
How to make the Vietnamese grilled cassava cake recipe:
– Slice the cassava into pieces with a thickness of 5-7 cm. Peel, soak with salt water overnight, then rinse several times with water, and drain it. Cut cassava into small pieces, and put in a puree. Pour the milled cassava into a basket to drain.
– Green beans are thoroughly roasted, soaked for at least 3-4 hours before cooking. Then, drain and put in a steamer for about 15-20 minutes until they are tender and well-done. Put green beans in a blender to grind.
– Add ¼ cup of milk powder to the blender. After you have a smooth mixture, turn off the machine.
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
– Add cassava, green beans, sugar, chicken eggs, vanilla, salt, melted butter, coconut milk, condensed milk with sugar, grated coconut to mix well.
– Use a brush to rub a thin layer of butter on the cake mold, pour the mixture into the mold, bake for 1 hour until the cake surface turns golden brown.
– Take out the well-done cake to cool down, cut into bite-sized pieces.
ATTENTION WHEN MAKING AND DINING THE GRILLED CASSAVA CAKE
– In any way of making the grilled cassava cake, the soaking step is mandatory to remove its sticky cover and reduce the toxins in the tubers.
– Pregnant women in the first months and children should not eat the cassava. Because it contains a lot of cyanhydric acids (HCN) that is very toxic to the body. It is easy to cause digestive disorders or even poisoning when eating cassava roots.
– When choosing to buy cassava for baking cakes. With sweet cassava, you have to process immediately after digging. Otherwise, you have to bury the tuber into the ground. If cassava has green spots, the toxin is very high.