If you are looking for typical dishes in Ha Noi, there is a lack that skip Bun Oc ( Snail Noodle Soup)
Bun oc is kinda informal dishes that you can find anywhere from street vendor on small alley in Ha Noi to eateries, restaurant…. Bun oc bring the particular flavor that hardly find in other dishes.
Bun Oc is special because of the sophistication and particular flavor made from light broth, a little spicy of chili paste, mixed with greasy taste of snail and butter tasty of tofu. One Indispensable part that makes bun oc stunning is various kinds of herbs such as: curled morning glory, banana blossom, perilla leaves , bean sprouts…. Bun oc seems to be easy to cook but how to keep snails crunchy, greasy, not too tought and how to make the perfect soup you really need special tips.
Now let’s find out how to make bun oc recipe
1.Ingredients for making bun oc recipe
- 2 kg snails
- 1 kg pork ribs
- 1 kg noodle
- 3 pieces of tofu
- 300 gram tomatoes
- 5 litre Vietnamese rice wine vinegar ( dấm bỗng)
- Turmeric powder, pepper, salt, sugar
- Chili powder, lime juice
- Chopped shallot,
- Vegetable oil, fish sauce, season
- Curled water morning glory, sliced banana blossom, perilla leaves, bean sprouts,
2.Process of making bun oc recipe
- Soak snails in warm water overnight, you can add some minced fresh chilies to remove dirty and gooey things.
- Wash snails clearly, add to a large pot then boil in cold water for 30 minutes. When snails cooked, take them out and filter the broth.
- Use toothpick to take out the snail flesh and wash with vinegar to reduce gooeyness.
- Marinate snail flesh with fish sauce, turmeric powder, minced shallot, garlic for 30 minutes.
- Wash tomatoes clearly and cut into wedges
- Mince chilies well
- Wash tofu and cut into small pieces then fry until turning golden.
- Wash herbs and drain out
- Slice spring onion and perilla leaves
- Clean pork ribs clearly then place into a large pot, add about 2 litres of water then boil to get the broth. Using a spoon periodically to remove scum on the surface to get clear broth.
- Season with salt, pepper, shallot.
- Heat vegetable oil on high , add minced shallot, garlic until fragrant.
- Add snail and stir-fry well for 3-5 minutes. When snail cooked, combine with some minced perilla leaves then scoop to the plate.
- Pour cooking oil into a large pot and heat on high,
- Fry minced shallot, garlic. Add tomatoes then stir-fry until being cooked.
- Pour snail broth, pork broth to pot and turn on on medium heat. Season shrimp paste, rice wine vinegar to fit your taste.
- Drop pieces of fried tofu into broth pot, turn down the heat and keep warm until serving.
Assembling a bowl of Bun Oc:
- Prepare a bowl of garnishing herbs to serve with bun oc including curled water morning glory, sliced banana blossom, perilla leaves, basil, bean sprouts, wedges of lime.
- Use a large bowl, scald some packs of vermicelli noodle in hot water then place on the bottom.
- Add some sliced green onion, fried shallot and cilantro on the top
- Ladle hot soup over the noodle from broth pot including snail, fried tofu, tomato wedges.
- Set the table, you can add vegetables of choices as well as chili paste, Vietnamese shrimp paste.
It’s all about Bun Oc Recipe, just follow the recipe you could welcome your family with the best Bun Oc ever.